Monday, May 23, 2011

Ants

Every morning as I wait for Morais to give me a lift to work and watch a chain of ants walking up and down a pillar from his upstairs to their nest under the ground. As they march backwards and forwards they meet each other and seemingly give each other a peck on the cheek ... I can only assume this is some kind of mechanism to give each other a navigation signal that they are on the right path.

Yesterday I found this quote from boingboing when it was a paper "zine" rather than a website:

"I look at a little ant as a machine, and I look at a computer as a kind of plant and to do that will help us to harness this new complexity in the machines we're making. And it may also help us understand the biology we already have."

Kevin Kelly editor of Wired in 1995

No comments: