Monday, February 21, 2011

False Economy - Whistleblowing

On Friday I posted the personal experience of a typical mid-level civil servant in local government in a typically depressed high unemployment town in the north of England. S/he is given the unfortunate role of making 25% of his/her staff unemployed. S/he then fears that his/her own job will be cut.

I also posted the email on the False Economy website.

Today (Sunday) s/he rang me to request that I take the post down (both on my blog and on False Economy) saying that if his/her bosses see it his/her redundancy is likely to come sooner than later. A call from the UK to central Africa is not cheap - s/he must be worried to call me when s/he could have sent me an email. I cannot do anything until Monday anyway as I don't have an Internet connection at home.

In the UK there are laws and regulations to protect whistle-blowers. Obviously, my friend does not feel these are enough to protect his/her job and his/her arse in the present climate.

I hate to think of the "climate" in the UK currently. The "law and order" party is even cutting police force and Defense budgets! What the fuck is going on?

No comments: