Monday, June 1, 2009

Soap

After my last entry on this subject ... Giv - With Pearl Extract ... which has made me neither healthier, richer nor wiser (nor an avid pearl diver!) I was faced this weekend with the choice of Lux with "Youthful Essence" or "medicated" Sanitex. A difficult decision to make so I bought a bar of each.

Lux with "Youthful Essence" does explain to me whether the essence is an ingredient or a quality. I have only been using it a few days so it is perhaps too early to say if it will make me more youthful. It has an impressive list of ingredients - Sodium Soap, Water, Perfume, Titanium Dioxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Ethane Hydroxl, Diphosphoric Acid, Olive and Grape Seed Extract, CL742600, CL11710. I'm not sure which of these is the essence of youth. As an aside, it declares "Only for sale in Indonesia". So a) the Indonesians want to keep the secret of youth to themselves and b) the is an internal soap smuggling trade.

Let's move to our "medicated" and "antiseptique" Sanitex for a "HEALTHY AND SOFT SKIN". Its list of ingredients is less impressive - Palm Oil, Coconut Oil, Fragrance, Water. I cannot see any medication there unless Prince Charles believes Palm and Conunt Oil are antiseptic.

Perhaps Drs Crippen and Rant, Boots or my local pharmacist can elucidate?

1 comment:

Rob said...

As most Americans of my generation know, "CL742600" is in fact the chemical name of Youthful Essence.

By and large, said Essence is dear indeed in these days, what with the worldwide embargo and all. Thus the black market value of products like Lux. This recalls the grim Thatcher era, when even the likes of Billy Bragg urged the countries of the world to turn on the great united states and save the youth of america (and their essences) in massive underground stockpiles. "Tomorrow's Hygeine Today," went the slogan. And thus: a whole generation of American Disappeared. Someday this tale will be told to its full extent, and hygiene will pay its price.