Friday, May 9, 2008

A Thousand Splendid Suns

Is the second novel published by a major publishng house by the expatriate Afghan author Khaled Hossein whose first major published novel, “The Kite Runner”, has been made into a movie. As the novel/film has a homosexual rape scene, Afghan reaction has generally not been good.

I am not a literary critic. “The Kite Runner “ was melancholy, sometimes hurt and was about men. “A Thousand Splendid Suns” is about women and a country, is melancholy and pain – an extreme pain that, even with Kezia's leukaemia, the poverty of this country, is far more than mine and cannot be compared.

Having bought this at Heathrow on my way back I have been reading this in small doses for of it I can only take small doses.

It gives me nightmares of where we could be ...

No comments: